About Me

Gahanna, OH, United States
I love to read. I also like to share my thoughts about books I've read. A blog seemed like an ideal place to do this. I like contemporary fiction, chick lit (somewhat), and autobiographies and biographies. I'm also interested in history and politics.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pretty in Plaid - a memoir by Jen Lancaster

The subtitle of Jen Lancaster's newest book, a memoir, is "a life, a witch, and a wardrobe, or the wonder years before the condescending, egomaniacal, self-centered smart-ass phase."

If you've never read a Jen Lancaster book you are missing out. Lancaster is one funny, talented, and witty writer. I guess she'd be considered "chick lit," but don't let that label throw you off.

Lancaster tells the story of her life through the clothes she wore at various milestones. If you are over 30 something, you will have a wonderful time reliving things like "Izod shirts," "Gunne sac" dresses and dressing like Madonna.

My favorite part was the pageant Jen entered when she was 17. Never having been in a pageant myself, I could not really identify, however, reading about it made me laugh until-I-snorted!!

Read this book and laugh through chapters with subtitles such as: Jordache Jeans, Part II or A Variety of Stained Aprons.

All in all this was a great summer read!

No comments: