About Me

Gahanna, OH, United States
I love to read. I also like to share my thoughts about books I've read. A blog seemed like an ideal place to do this. I like contemporary fiction, chick lit (somewhat), and autobiographies and biographies. I'm also interested in history and politics.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz

When I was in high school, it never once occurred to me to even try to apply to a place like Princeton University. I had o.k., but not outstanding grades, was not good in sports and didn't participate in any extra-curricular activities. Therefore, no one from Princeton told me that "Princeton could use a chick like Elizabeth."

Even with my lack of Ivy League experience, however, I've always been fascinated by the process in which one gets admitted to the most prestigious schools in the world. Admission, a novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz, gave me some good insight.

Portia Nathan is a Princeton University Admissions Officer. Her story starts out on a recruiting trip and ends 400+ pages with the committee meetings in which the final decisions on applicants are made.

Each chapter in the book starts off with an excerpt of a prospective student's admissions essay. I was fascinated by every page Korelitz devoted to the process. What didn't fascinate me were the many, many subplots in the book summarized here:

Portia's long-time lover leaves her for another Princeton colleague; Portia gets romantically involved with one of her former Dartmouth classmates (who she doesn't recall) who is a teacher/administrator at an experimental school; Portia's mother is a radical feminist who wants to adopt a baby; Portia had a baby while at Dartmouth that she gave up for adoption.

It was really too much to pack into one novel. This wasn't a page-turner of a book, but a thoughtful book. Portia was both likable enough and flawed enough to be a good, interesting main character. I'd recommend this novel if you're at all interested in how universities weed through thousands of applications from brilliant students.

No comments: