About Me

Gahanna, OH, United States
I love to read. I also like to share my thoughts about books I've read. A blog seemed like an ideal place to do this. I like contemporary fiction, chick lit (somewhat), and autobiographies and biographies. I'm also interested in history and politics.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Eat, drink and be from Mississippi by Nanci Kincaid

Courtney and Truely had what I think was an idyllic childhood in rural Mississippi. They had land, a stable family and a fishing pond right outside their house.

So, of course, the first thing Courtney does when she becomes an adult is leave for California. Truely a few years younger, follows his sister when he is able.

The brother and sister find material success in California. Courtney marries a wealthy real estate developer and Truely joins up with another young entrepreneur and makes his fortune. He marries an idealistic young teacher.

Several years later, they still have the success, but they don't have their spouses or their parents -- their spouses have divorced them and their parents have died.

Courtney and Truely become a two-person family unit. They find a common purpose when Arnold, a young, troubled black man enters their lives. They make it their goal to save Arnold from the streets. Courtney tutors him and encourages him to get his GED. Truely invites him to move into his upscale loft.

The two-person family unit becomes an unconventional three-person unit. Some of this transformation is interesting to read, while some of it is rather banal and boring. It took me a long time to get through the book -- it wasn't a "page-turner."

Yet, the characters were so admirable and likable that I managed to finally finish the novel this morning. My favorite parts of the book were the Mississippi portions. I thought it was moving when Truely found out that his father had secrets and flaws. I enjoyed the descriptions of plain ole Mississippi cuisine. It was cool to read how even sophisticated Californians took pleasure in simple things like fishing.

This is a good book with a satisfying ending. Be prepared to renew it at the library, however, you won't get through it in a weekend.

No comments: