About Me

Gahanna, OH, United States
I love to read. I also like to share my thoughts about books I've read. A blog seemed like an ideal place to do this. I like contemporary fiction, chick lit (somewhat), and autobiographies and biographies. I'm also interested in history and politics.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Here's the Story by Maureen McCormick

Everyone has a deep, dark secret, I suppose, and here's mine: I love, love, love celebrity-authored, tell-all books. I know -- I'm shallow and frivolous. Just get off my back! I'm also extremely curious too. Curious about the lives of the rich and famous because I'm poor and pretty darn obscure!

That is why when I heard that Maureen McCormick -- Marcia Brady of 1970's The Brady Bunch (as if she needs an introduction!) had written an autobiography I just knew I had to put it on my Christmas wish list!!

I've read enough of these books by former child stars to know the formula:

"I had a dysfunctional family life, but a deep desire to be an actor. I got my lucky break on a wholesome family t.v. show. Little did I know, however, that my early fame would haunt me and propel me into a whirlwind of meaningless sex, alcohol abuse and drug addiction. It took some effort and soul-searching, but I was able to overcome the pitfalls of being a celebrity with therapy and/or religion and now I'm a stable, productive and happy person."

And that's the story for Maureen McCormick as well. Although I given away the plot, her story is still worth a read. For one thing, I really was surprised by the genuine love she seemed to have for her Brady family. Robert Reed sounded like a pain in the butt with his complaints about the quality of Brady Bunch scripts, but he was also a warm and caring person. For example, when a sequel of the Brady Bunch was proposed -- The Brady Brides -- he said that no one was going to give away his girls except him!

I would have loved more Brady Bunch gossip and anecdotes Marcia! That's why I asked Santa for the book after all! Most of the book concerned Maureen's post-Brady life. You might be surprised that Marcia Brady really loved the "blow!" I felt she spent far too much time detailing nearly every line of coke she ever snorted!!! It made for some pretty tedious reading!!

More interesting was her very active love life. Did you know, for example, that she had a serious relationship with Gregory Harrison? (t.v.'s Gonzo Gates/Levi Zindt -- hey there's a tell all book I'd like to read -- how 'bout it Gonzo?) She ruined her relationship because her lust for cocaine was stronger than her love of that dark, hunky, awesome Gregory Harrison! Marcia! Marcia! Marcia! No wonder why they call drugs "dope"!!!!!

The last part of the book detailed Maureen's fight to overcome her addictions, depression, and really bizarre family secrets and troubles. She's been married over 20 years now to the same guy and is a proud mother so I'd say she's done a pretty good job! She's now over 50 years old, but everyone will always think of her as an eternal teenager. She's seems o.k. with that.

One of my new year's resolution is to read and review more serious works of literature, but first... I must, must, must read the sequel to Keith Partridge/David Cassidy's autobiography!!!

No comments: